Paddle Baja :Surfski and SUP training and rentals in La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Cabo Pulmo


Cabo Pulmo, Charlie and the humpback whale
Met up with paddleboard Charlie yesterday at Cabo Pulmo about two hours drive south of La Ventana. He was out on the water half an hour before me so when I saw him from a distance he looked like he was walking on water and there was all this splashing going on around him. The mobulas (rays) were jumping at a rate of one or two per second.
As I didn't feel safe in the surfski with falling fish all around me we left the area and then Charlie pointed out the two whales in the distance. It was a mother humpback and her calf. The calf was breaching and when they saw us swam in our direction to check us out. They came within 20 feet and as they swam underneath us the water lifted and I was thankful for all the remount practice I've been doing.
Warren

3 comments:

  1. Nice job Warren! Looks like a great area to paddle in!
    Don't train too hard though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like great fun. Keep the pictures coming.
    Paddle hard buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awsome big guy. I thought you might be tempted to hitch a ride with that humpback!

    ReplyDelete