Paddle Baja :Surfski and SUP training and rentals in La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico

Thursday, September 18, 2014








This year will be my 6th time driving down the Baja peninsula and having just arrived at Guerrero Negro it is, so far, the fastest.
I crossed the border at Tecate at 7:00am and pulled into Guerrero Negro at 5:30pm driving a Nissan Xterra. (No need of 4 wheel drive at any point.) This is four days after Hurricane Odile hit and other than a little water beside the road in a few places there are few signs here in Baja California of the category 3 storm. Tomorrow I cross into Baja California Sur which took a direct hit.
I passed through three military checkpoints and was waved through without inspection. No line ups. No warnings to turn back. I made a point to ask if the road was open all the way to La Paz and was told yes three times. One soldier told me it would be slow just south of Guerrero Negro.
The arroyos south of Catavina were flowing with only about two inches of water. No detours.
Just in case there was a gas shortage as reported I stopped at the next Pemex station whenever the gauge got down to 3/4 full. There were no shortages until I pulled into Guerrero Negro where I was told to come back in 3 hours when the tanker arrives. No problem as this is where I'm staying for the night and the station at Jesus Maria 20 minutes outside of town has gas. Talking to someone here at the restaurant at Malarrimo Hotel there is presently no gas in Guerrero Negro (7:00pm Thursday)
In the last hour as I approached Guerrero Negro I saw 6 full size Aguila buses going north. Tourists being bussed north?
This post will be added to throughout the night. Photos too.

No comments:

Post a Comment