Paddle Baja :Surfski and SUP training and rentals in La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico

Monday, February 1, 2010

Downwinder from Punta Arena

Did a magical thirteen mile downwinder from Punta Arena to the La Ventana campground yesterday. I put in where the fishermen were coming in and cleaning their catch of small sharks at the old hotel. In a light cross-onshore breeze I rounded the point at the lighthouse and began an eight mile downwind surf in a freshening breeze. About two miles from the lighthouse, two whale tails emerged at about forty meters, followed by two very large backs, headed directly for me. Not feeling too comfortable with this heading, I moved laterally, none too smoothly, but not to worry; I never saw a sign of them again. The surfing got better and better, with lots of connected runs as I approached the Bufidora. By this time I was tiring from sprinting onto waves, and proceeded to crash and burn, trying to find a point of paddling that was a little more stable on the beam sea return to the campground. A bit of ferrying across the swells and a few more surfs later, I got back to the campground, tired and happy.
Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment