Paddle Baja :Surfski and SUP training and rentals in La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Self centering steering

Foam insert and paper template

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. I’ve been giving some thought on the recently discussed topic of steering line breakage and what to do in case of emergency. Rather than using the shock cord setup as shown in this youtube video ( which involves drilling a hole in the deck of your boat ) I tried using a foam insert in the rudder access compartment. Epic V10 shown.
Originally this was meant to be an emergency setup - ie inserting the foam after the breakage. On testing it though I found that I still have probably 75% steering left and right and the steering self centers when my feet are off the steering controls. I now leave it in place while training but will be removing it when any racing involves tight turns around marks.
I used a piece of roof rack foam. Resources are limited here in Baja but when I return to Vancouver I will be trying different types for resiliency.
Warren

4 comments:

  1. thanks for passing this along. I will be making one for my skis. Wesley Echols(SurfskiRacing.com).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This posting came to mind when i was out yesterday and i lost steering. After investigating i found out that my lines did not break, but the clamp (i have a V10 Sport)came loose and slipped off.
    After struggling to a beach i was able to put a piece of drift wood on top to hold it in until i could get an allen key (left back in the parking lot!). I now keep a spare key in the rudder compartment, between the key and your foam idea, i should be totally covered!
    GC

    ReplyDelete